In the year 2004 Yuvenalis Nyaingero had a vision and mission of improving the living standard of the young children through education so that they can become self reliant leaders of tomorrow. Since then Nyaingero started an initiative called upendo educational center being one of the project under AIC (African Inland Church) Upend mathare north area three.
Mr. Nyaigero says that due to poverty, rapid population growth, HIV& AIDS, post election violence, unwanted pregnancies,displaced children,orphans,gender base violence, inadequate space of admission in government primary school, this what forced him to start an initiative of giving young hopeless and street children education in a small ghetto of mathare north.
The institution only survive with church contribution, school fee which is being paid able parent, and offering which is not enough to sustain to pay teacher and later develop the institution from its current state.
Here are some of the problems facing Upendo Education Centre
- Toilets:-Upendo Education Center has got only one toilet which is being used both by community living around who some of them are sick, drunkered some of the children have contracted disease in their private parts.
- Water:-the institution has got no point teacher relies on water which is being transported by cartels at a price of thirty shilling per jerrican.
- Teachers:-with more than one hundred and fifty children upendo educational center has got only six teachers.
- Medical facilities
- Infrastructure:-The church works as class for than one hundred and fifty children their is no partition to separate them if you are out side you may think that their seminar going on the church.
- Food -Due to poverty half of the children in Upendo Educational Center come to school every day hungry, teacher have to look for other means so that they can assist hungry pupils since they can no read or concentrate on hungry stomach
- Lack of proper playing ground
- Security its very poor
- Lack of Staff room
- Reading and writing materials, Library
Any person willing to help improve the living standard street children, orphans, displaced children of Upendo Educational Center you are allowed to do so because they are the future leaders of tomorrow.